Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lesson in Recovery/Power of Choice

Lately I've been taking on a lot more responsibility for myself. For me, this mostly means no longer relying on my parents financially. I came up with a budget plan for when I move away that will help me pay insurance and other costs. I've also been paying for things I need on my own. Although I started taking on these responsibilities later in life, I'm proud of the changes I am making.

But I realized that I've also been falling into an old mindset of the "magic pill" with recovery. When I start to make progress in a particular area, I start to think of it as a solution to my disordered thoughts and behaviors. I'm trying to adapt a healthier mindset:

Taking on responsibility for my life and for myself, including all my issues, will help me with my recovery. It is one part that will CONTRIBUTE to my recovery, it will not complete it. It is not a magic pill. It is a contributing factor to my recovery. Other factors I've learned:
1) having healthy attachments
2) fulfillment in work/personal life
3) improved relationship to self
4) alternative behaviors to binge eating/disordered eating
5) honesty
6) support

And now, taking on full responsibility for myself and for my personal problems, rather than blaming my parents or expecting help from them.

Affirmation: I am in CHARGE of my life. I am in charge of my life. I free myself from the past. I free myself from the past.

I make CHOICES, I HAVE THE POWER TO CHOOSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment