Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Triggers

Nina V from helpforeatingdisorders.com posted a video about an exercise to help with recovery. She recommended that people reflect on 5 to 10 of the top triggers that lead people back to eating disorders.

Here are mine:

1) desire to lose weight
2) intimacy (this one is complicated)
3) "feeling" fat
4) feeling inferior to others
5) helplessness

I don't have many tangible actions that are triggers, but more emotions like helplessness.

These are good to know. As I thought about my eating today, I realize why I'm slipping into not eating right. I feel very helpless, like no matter what I do it won't matter. I realize that I don't have all the skills to deal with helplessness, so it makes sense that I do what gives me relief (turn to food). The alternative is to feel that helplessness and fall deeper and deeper into it, so what I have to do is work on handling emotions that lead to that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment