Thursday, November 17, 2011

Authentic Power Quote

I just read this from Psychology Today:

"Authentic power wells up from within, and it seldom appears full-blown early in life. Rather, it is an outcome of our ability to integrate our experiences in such a way that even adversity is ultimately incorporated into the process of growth. Authentic power is gained through vigorous participation in life, coupled with an openness to new experiences, emotional sure-footedness, strong ties to other people, the ability to find interest and pleasure in whatever we encounter and, most of all, the ability to construct meaning in our lives."


What stood out: "vigorous participation in life" and "the ability to find interest and pleasure in whatever we encounter" and "the ability to construct meaning in our lives."


I accept that I'm not at this place, but I'm working towards it. Vigorous participation in life stood out in particular because I have been missing that  lately. I haven't been participating in my own life. I've been scared. Scared of what I'll find, scared of facing my powerful demons, scared of losing to them. So instead of fighting, of vigorously participating, I'm passively moving forward. What holds me back? Fear of losing. But I WILL lose. These are powerful old patterns and habits, and conquering them means I'll have to fully, completely, totally, 100% commit to hearing them, changing them, fighting them. I'm participating in my own life, but not vigorously.


I remember when I felt really happy, the one thing I noticed about myself that distinguished myself from others was my ability to find pleasure in anything in life. Sitting at a library, going to a new town, lounging in PJs. It didn't matter where I was or even necessarily who I was with (though this definitely mattered), I could make the best of wherever I was. I was engaged, I was having fun, I was so grateful just to be able to breathe and live in a moment without thinking about food. I felt blessed, in each moment.


I'm glad I found this quote. Definitely helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment